Hawaii - What's Open, Closed, or Reopening Soon
Accommodations, Entertainment, & Attractions Updates
Last Updated: January 21, 2021, at 11:30 am HST
Aloha, this page is designed to cover details about what's currently open, closed, or reopening in the near future in Hawaii. As you may know, there has been a 10-day Hawaii quarantine with several Hawaii travel restrictions since late March 2020. Undoubtedly, many travelers have eagerly been monitoring Hawaii and its process of reopening and now Hawaii is relaxing the mandatory 10-day quarantine policy, allowing travelers to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test to bypass quarantine instead. Please also remember that currently, this test MUST come from a trusted partner.
Now that visitors can once again enjoy Hawaii's remarkable natural beauty, great open spaces, unique experiences, and signature hospitality, we'll cover everything you need to know about what's open, closed, and reopening below. We've compiled a list of all the major Hawaii resorts, hotels, b&b's, inn's, and attractions that have already reopened or plan too soon, and their reopening dates when applicable.
Quick links to topics on this page:
- Hotels, B&B's, and Inn's in Hawaii →
Hawaii's re-opening has honestly been an evolving process with numerous changes and ongoing updates. We recognize that this, unfortunately, causes confusion to potential travelers, and we are continuing to monitor this situation closely. We will provide additional pertinent updates here regularly, from official sources, on this page as additional information becomes available to us. We also encourage our readers to sign up for our 'Hawaii Travel Update' emails to receive pertinent information on all of the recent developments regarding travel to Hawaii.
Additionally, we've created a new page dedicated to the day-by-day updates that are occurring with Hawaii's reopening process: Hawaii COVID-19 Travel News & Headlines →
Attractions, Dining, and Entertainment
Parks, Restaurants, & more status & updates
What’s the current status of Hawaii attractions, tours, dining, etc.?
Hawaii Restaurants & Dining
All Hawaii restaurants are allowed to open for takeout, pick-up, and delivery service only. Hawaii restaurants are also allowed to open for indoor dining at 50% capacity, with tables positioned 5-feet apart. Reservations are required for indoor dining and limited to parties of no more than five (5) people per table. Masks must be worn at all times when dining indoors at restaurants, except when you are actively eating and/or drinking.
Hawaii State & National Parks
Hawaii's parks, beaches, and trails are open for groups of no more than five (5) people. Please practice physical distancing and always wear a mask or face covering. All Hawaii county parks and beaches are open on all islands with some restrictions.
Please refer to the following island county websites for the most current information:
Generally speaking, most state and national parks are open at this time. Select Hawaii state parks and monuments statewide are open, though emphasizing social distancing.. Please visit the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) website for more information.
Hawaii's national parks on each island are also at different levels of reopening. National Park Service-managed parks, historic sites, and memorials in Hawaii are gradually increasing access and services to their sites and facilities utilizing a phased approach. Please visit the National Park Service (NPS) website for more information.
Island-Specific Notices & Alerts
Kauai Opts-Out of Testing Program
Kauai currently has specific rules for visiting and may require quarantine at this time. A 'resort bubble' program begins on January 5, 2021. More information can be found on our Hawaii Travel Restrictions page.
Maui required Contact Tracing
Effective January 19, 2021, a mandatory contact tracing requirement goes into effect for all travelers from both the mainland and interisland to Maui. All travelers to Maui, beginning January 19th, must download the AlohaSafe Alert App on their mobile phone before departing for Maui. If a traveler attempts to do so on arrival, it will too late and quarantine will be required. See our Hawaii Travel Restrictions page and the Maui Special Notice section for additional information.
Hawaii Shopping & Entertainment
Hawaiian retailers, bowling alleys, and movie theaters are allowed to open at 50% capacity, with no more than five (5) people per party.
Hawaii Outdoor Activities
Tours & Activities Updates
Different Hawaii counties have different restrictions in place. However, outdoor activities are beginning to re-open. Please check individual tour/activity company websites on status, hours, and guidelines. Be sure to also check our Hawaii Adventures section below for a list of sustainable tour companies opening for business in Hawaii.
Some tour operators we work closely with have already informed us they are waiting until spring 2021 to re-open.
Hawaii Indoor Activities
Hawaii's Museums, attractions, and zoos are allowed to open at 50% capacity for indoor areas, with groups limited to no more than five (5) people.
SOCIAL-DISTANCE WITH SELF-GUIDED AUDIO TOURS
Hotels, B&B's, and Inn's
Accommodations Open, Closed, and Re-opening Soon
Accommodations Status & Updates
What’s the current status of Hawaii Accommodations?
The following is a list of open and closed accommodations in Hawaii and is current, to the best of our knowledge, as of the date found atop this entry. Please contact the property directly for more information. We will continue to update these lists as we learn more about each property's plans for re-opening.
See something we've missed or need to update the status on? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make sure to update or add it to the lists below. Mahalo!
Hotels Currently Open on Oahu
- Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki
- Aqua Oasis
- Aqua Palms Waikiki
- Aqua Skyline at Island Colony
- Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel
- Aston at the Waikiki Banyan
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Aston Waikiki Beach Tower
- Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
- Aulani - A Disney Resort & Spa
- Aston Waikiki Sunset
- Ala Moana Hotel
- Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
- Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
- Bamboo Waikiki Hotel
- Beach Villas at Ko Olina
- Castle Waikiki Grand Hotel
- Castle Waikiki Shore
- Coconut Waikiki Hotel
- Courtyard by Marriott North Shore
- Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach
- Doubletree Alana Waikiki Beach
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Oahu Kapolei
- Ewa Hotel Waikiki
- Grand Islander - Hilton Grand Vacations
- Grand Waikikian - Hilton Grand Vacations
- Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
- Hale Koa Hotel
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
- Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach
- Hilton Waikiki Beach
- Holiday Inn Express Waikiki
- Hotel La Croix
- Hotel Renew
- Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
- Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach
- Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites
- Ilima Hotel
- Imperial Hawaiian Resort
- Kalia Tower - Hilton Grand Vacations
- Lagoon Tower - Hilton Grand Vacations
- The Laylow - Autograph Collection
- Luana Waikiki Hotel and Suites
- Marina Hawaii Vacations
- Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
- Moana Surfrider - A Westin Resort & Spa
- Ohana Waikiki Malia
- OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger
- Ohia Waikiki Studio Suites
- Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
- Pagoda Hotel
- Pacific Monarch Hotel
- Park Shore Waikiki
- Pearl Hotel Waikiki
- Prince Waikiki
- Queen Kapiolani Hotel
- Residence Inn by Marriott Oahu Kapolei
- Ritz-Carlton Residences - Waikiki Beach
- Royal Grove Waikiki
- Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
- Sheraton Waikiki
- Shoreline Hotel Waikiki
- Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort
- The Modern Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian - a Luxury Collection Resort
- Trump International Hotel Waikiki
- Turtle Bay Resort
- Waikiki Marina Resort at the Ilikai
- Waikiki Network
- Waikiki Shore by Outrigger
- Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger
- Waikiki Resort Hotel
- White Sands Hotel
- Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Royal Garden at Waikiki
Hotels Reopening Soon in 2020 on Oahu
- None reported at this time
Hotels Reopening in 2021 on Oahu
- Halekulani Hotel: Reopening Summer 2021; currently undergoing renovations
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort: Reopening April 1, 2021
Hotels Closed without a reopening date on Oahu
- ESPACIO Waikiki
- Four Seasons Resort Oahu at Ko Olina
- Princess Kaiulani Hotel
- The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Hotels on Oahu we're awaiting status updates from...
Hotels Currently Open on Maui; including Molokai & Lanai
- Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort
- Aston Kaanapali Shore
- Aston at the Maui Banyan
- Aston at Papakea Resort
- Aston Paki Maui
- Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
- Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
- Aston Maui Hill
- Best Western Pioneer Inn
- Courtyard by Marriott Kahului Airport
- Days Inn by Wyndham Maui Oceanfront
- Destination Residences Hawaii Wailea
- Fairmont Kea Lani
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai [LANAI]
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
- Hana Kai Maui Resort
- Hana Maui Resort
- Honua Kai Resort & Spa
- Hotel Lanai [LANAI]
- Hotel Molokai [MOLOKAI]
- Hotel Wailea - Relais & Chateaux
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa
- Kaanapali Alii
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel
- Kamaole Sands
- Kapalua Villas Maui
- Ke Nani Kai Club [MOLOKAI]
- Kihei Akahi
- Kohea Kai Maui
- Kula Lodge
- Lahaina Shores
- Lumeria Maui
- Makena Surf
- Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
- Maui Beach Hotel
- Maui Coast Hotel
- Maui Kaanapali Villas - by Aston
- Montage Kapalua Bay
- Napili Kai Beach Resort
- Napili Surf Beach Resort
- Paia Inn
- Polynesian Shores Condominium Resort
- Residence Inn Maui Wailea
- Ritz-Carlton Kapalua
- Royal Lahaina Resort
- Sensei Lanai - a Four Seasons Resort
- Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
- Sunset Shores Maui
- The Mauian Hotel on Napili Bay
- The Plantation Inn
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
- The Whaler Vacation Rental Program
- Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott
- Wailea Beach Villas
- Wailea Ekahi Village
- Wailea Ekolu Village
- Wailea Elua Village
- Wailea Grand Champions
- Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
Hotels Reopening Soon in 2020 on Maui
- None reported at this time
Hotels Reopening in 2021 on Maui
- None reported at this time
Hotels Closed without a reopening date on Maui
- None reported at this time
Hotels on Maui we're awaiting status updates from...
Big Island Accommodations
Hotels Currently Open on Hawaii Island
- Arnotts Lodge & Hiking Adventures
- Aston Kona by the Sea
- Aston Shores at Waikoloa
- Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas
- Castle Resorts & Hotels Halii Kai At Waikoloa
- Castle Resorts and Hotels Waimea Country Lodge
- Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
- Dolphin Bay Hotel
- Fairmont Orchid
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
- Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
- Halii Kai At Waikoloa
- Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Hoomaluhia
- Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
- Hilton Waikoloa Village
- Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village
- Kanaloa at Kona
- Kings' Land - Hilton Grand Vacations
- Kona Bay Hotel (Uncle Billy's)
- Kona Coast Resort
- Kona Hawaiian Resort - by Wyndham
- Kona Reef by LaTour Hotels & Resorts
- Kona Seaside Hotel
- Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - Autograph Collection
- Mauna Lani - Auberge Resorts Collection
- Mauna Lani Point
- Mauna Lani Resort
- Paniolo Greens
- Ocean Tower - Hilton Grand Vacations
- Royal Kona Resort
- Royal Sea Cliff Kona - by Wyndham
- Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa
- The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
- The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort
- Volcano Heritage Cottages
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
- Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
Hotels Reopening Soon in 2020 on the Big Island
- None reported at this time
Hotels Reopening in 2021 on the Big Island
- None reported at this time
Hotels Closed without a reopening date on Hawaii Island
- Palms Cliff House Inn: Is not taking reservations at this time
Hotels on the Big Island we're awaiting status updates from...
The status of many Kauai accommodations is currently in flux. Due to the Mayor of Kauai requesting that Kauai reinstate the 10-day quarantine beginning December 2, 2020, many of these properties are likely to reclose and open again at a later date; most likely sometime in 2021. This list was current as of 12/1/20 but we highly advise proceeding with caution before booking with any of the following properties at this time.
- On December 30, 2020, Governor Ige approved Kauai Mayor Kawakami's request to implement a pre-and-post-travel testing program for visitors who stay in "resort bubble" hotels, effective January 5, 2021. It will allow travelers who participate in the program to enjoy the resort amenities for the first three days of their vacation until they are eligible to take their post-travel test. Once the post-travel test shows they are COVID-free, they will be released from quarantine and can leave the "resort bubble."
- See our Hawaii Travel Restrictions page for additional information, including which resorts are participating in the program.
Hotels Currently Open on Kauai
- Aston at Poipu Kai
- Aston Islander on the Beach
- Cliffs at Princeville - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- Club Wyndham Resort Kauai Beach Villas
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa - Closing again, until early 2021
- Hanalei Bay Resort - participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program beginning February 1st
- Hanalei Colony Resort
- Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- Hotel Coral Reef
- Kaha Lani Resort
- Kalaheo Inn
- Kiahuna Plantation - Castle Resorts
- Kauai Beach Resort
- Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy
- Kauai Inn
- Kauai Marriott Resort
- Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- Kauai Palms Hotel
- Kauai Shores Hotel
- Koa Kea Hotel & Resort at Poipu Beach - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu - Autograph Collection
- Kuhio Shores Condominiums
- Lae Nani Resort by Outrigger
- Marriott's Kauai Lagoons Kalanipu'u
- Plantation Hale Suites
- Poipu Shores
- Pono Kai Resort
- Prince Kuhio Condominiums
- Shearwater - by Wyndham
- Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort
- The Club at Kukuiula - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- The Lodge at Kukui'ula
- The ISO Mokihana
- The Point at Poipu - Diamond Resorts International - participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program beginning February 1st
- The Villas at Poipu Kai
- The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
- Timbers Kauai - currently participating in Kauai EMQ 'Resort Bubble' program
- Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Waipouli Beach Resort by Outrigger
- Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Hotels Reopening Soon in 2020 on Kauai
- None reported at this time
Hotels Reopening in 2021 on Kauai
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa - Reopening sometime in early 2021
Hotels Closed without a reopening date on Kauai
- Hanalei Inn
- Whalers Cove in Poipu
Hotels on Kauai we're awaiting status updates from...
- Castle Makahuena at Poipu
- Garden Island Inn
- Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
- Pali Ke Kua
Hawaii Cruiselines Status
Can I take a cruise around or to Hawaii?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced the extension of a No Sail Order for cruise ships. This order continues to suspend passenger operations on cruise ships with the capacity to carry at least 250 passengers in waters subject to U.S. jurisdiction.
As of early 2021, now that the COVID-19 vaccination process has begun for the U.S. mainland and around the world, we expect the Cruiseline industry to slowly restart. We'll post more details as they become available.
Here's a link to each cruise line in Hawaii so you can check their individual plans:
- Carnival Cruise Lines - had previously canceled its Hawaii cruises through the end of 2020.
- Celebrity Cruises - had previously canceled all Hawaii sailings until at least December 2020.
- Holland America - has canceled Hawaii sailings through early 2021.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines - The all-Hawaii cruise operator should be offering cruises again in 2021.
- Princess Cruises - previously had planned to resume cruising sometime in late December 2020.
- Royal Caribbean - based on their schedule at this time, all cruises look to be canceled until sometime in early 2021.
Have a Cruiseline update we should know about? Please email us and let us know the details. Mahalo!
What to expect if you travel to Hawaii now...
Across much of the Hawaiian islands, normal life has resumed with physical distancing rules in place, some capacity restrictions, and mask-wearing is encouraged. Beaches, outdoor attractions, and restaurants across the state have opened for business in this fashion*.
At this time, large-scale events and festivals are still not permitted and have mostly been canceled throughout the remainder of 2020.
*The four Hawaii counties have different and varying guidelines, details by island:
Certified Sustainable Companies
Additional Hawaii Resources
COVID-19 Information & Links
The following resources have been compiled by GoUS Hawaii to better assist travelers in navigating the various restrictions and state-approved test requirements for visiting Hawaii during the COVID pandemic. If you have questions, we are always happy to assist, and you can contact us anytime. You may also want to direct your questions to an official state resource, and we've compiled an updated list of Hawaii Official COVID-19 Contacts for travelers, including phone numbers and email addresses when applicable.
Information Disclaimer: Details and information on this page, including dates, may change on a day-by-day basis. While we will be making every effort to keep these pages relevant and up to date, the decision to travel is ultimately your own responsibility. Please travel safely and keep an eye on our Hawaii Travel Requirements page for more information regarding COVID-19 and re-opening in Hawaii.