Things to See & Do on Oahu
Activities, Sights, Tours, & Must See Places
With so many unique places to explore, you may not know where to start. While some may be more interested in visiting the famous tourist beaches, others may choose to attend a luau or catch their first wave with an Oahu surfing lesson. No matter how you want to spend your time, we're confident you'll have the time of your life! On this page, we're going to go over some of the most popular Oahu things to see & do.
Oahu has a long list of must see and do activities and Oahu accommodations range from upscale resorts to quaint B&Bs scattered around the island. It truly is the ideal place for a Hawaiian vacation; no matter which type of traveler you are. Don't forget to read our Oahu Things to Know article; it serves as an excellent companion entry to the content below.
— article continued below —
- Attend an Oahu Luau- When many think of Hawaii, one of the first things that pop into their minds is a luau. A luau is a nighttime celebration of the Hawaiian culture that can be found at many different resorts throughout the island. You will enjoy authentic Polynesian entertainment such as dancing and fire juggling, dine on delicious Hawaiian cuisine, and enjoy traditional Hawaiian games. Oahu offers many different luaus, each with its own unique touch of magic.
Oahu's North Shore
- Visit Oahu's North Shore - One of the most popular things to do on Oahu is to visit the North Shore. This surfing capital brings in visitors from around the world who are looking to experience the waves and others who simply come to watch. World-class surfers visit the North Shore during the winter months when the waves reach their peaks. In addition to surfing, the North Shore is also known for Turtle Bay and the delicious shrimp trucks that line the streets.
- Tour Historic Honolulu - Another one of the most popular Oahu things to do is visit the Historic Honolulu area. This historic area is home to many world famous buildings such as Iolani Palace. From the State Capitol building to a variety of churches and museums, this is one area of Oahu that you will not want to miss.
Oahu's Diamond Head Crater
- Head to the Top of Diamond Head - There's nothing quite like seeing Oahu and Waikiki from the top of Diamond Head. The hiking trail to the top of this overlook is not too difficult and can be completed by most who are relatively fit. Handrails line the 1.4-mile trail to the top for your convenience. Relax on the benches along the way and take in the magnificent views. Once at the top, you will experience a 365-degree view of the island of Oahu.
Oahu's Lanikai Beach
- Relax on Lanikai Beach - This white sand beach is one of the most popular Oahu Things to do because it's a scenic and picturesque icon of Oahu. Plus, it is safe for swimming, is family friendly, and is complemented by the two off-shore Moku Lua islands (both bird sanctuaries). The beach is very popular with photographers and videographers, and with good reason: it's one of the best beaches on Oahu.
Explore Oahu Attractions
What’s on your Oahu vacation to-do list? Lounging on a romantic beach? Ziplining over an impressive valley? Watching rare Hawaiian birds? Or maybe packing up with the family for the best family vacation ever? No matter what your idea of a great adventure is, we have the best things to do on Oahu right here.
2023 Oahu Visitor Guides
If you're visiting Oahu soon, be sure to download your copy of one of our updated 2023 Oahu Visitor Guides. We've updated both travel guides with a lot of new great information for potential visitors (and those who've been a time or two as well).