Best Time to Visit Kauai
Kauai Tips for When to Visit
The best times to visit Kauai, when considering the weather, crowds, demand, and prices, are the months of April, May, August, September, and early October.
When to visit Kauai? It's a good question, and below we'll cover visitor arrivals, Kauai's weather and climate, accommodations, rates, and what to expect on a visit during each season on Kauai.
Published by: John C. Derrick
Editor / Founder
Weather & Climate
Kauai has a remarkably stable weather pattern year-round. During the winter you'll experience highs in the mid-70s °F (23-24°C), while summer temperatures usually get into the mid-80s °F (28-30°C). Kauai is wetter than the other islands and is actually home to the second (arguably THE) wettest spot on the planet at Waialeale. But this lush, verdant atmosphere is what makes Kauai the "Garden Isle."
Kauai's North and East Coasts are together referred to as the windward side; which is typically wetter than the rest of the island. The driest locations are in south Kauai near Poipu or further west towards Waimea and Kekaha. Ultimately, most rain showers are brief and the sun quickly returns; only occasionally does a weather system bring prolonged rain to the island.
Please note that we advise against listening to The Weather Channel since they'll forecast rain every day (which is technically accurate, but it's unlike rain on the mainland - it comes in bunches as we discussed above).
For more information about Kauai's weather and the best regions to stay, be sure to check out our Kauai Weather article.
Hurricane and tropical storms are historically rare events on Kauai, but it’s still important to be prepared for storms if you visit during hurricane season - June through November. The last few years have seen increased activity around the islands so it’s essential to monitor weather conditions when planning and taking your trip to Kauai.
Accommodations & Rates
The best deals, accommodations wise, are found during the months of April - May and September - early December. The holidays, especially Christmas, are the busiest time of year and prices will reflect the increased demand. During the spring and fall, visitation is typically down (meaning fewer crowds) and prices will reflect the decreased demand for accommodations.
If you're wondering where the best places to stay are located, be sure to check out our Where to Stay on Kauai article.
Below, we'll cover our Kauai Seasonal Expectations on visiting during each season of the year.
Kauai Seasonal Expectations
Events Updated for Fall 2021 & 2022
Due to the ongoing pandemic, some Kauai events may be delayed, canceled, or rescheduled. We've included the dates and months that most Kauai events are typically held below, but please be aware that currently, things are subject to change.
Visiting Kauai in January, February, or March
This season is often one of the wettest on-island, but it's certainly not a wash. Temperatures will also be cooler, at least by Kauai standards. Additionally, demand is lower at this period, and the island will likely feel less "crowded" than during the busier summer months or at Christmas time.
Kauai Winter Events:
- Waimea Town Celebration (February) - Currently scheduled for February 2022. Kauai's largest and oldest festival, held over nine days, celebrating Hawaiian culture.
- Prince Kuhio Day Celebration (March) - We're currently unsure of the status for 2022. Visitors can enjoy live music, hula, and other activities at Anahola Beach Park.
Visiting Kauai in April, May, or June
The early spring months of April and May are two of the best months to visit Kauai, in our opinion. The weather is typically fantastic, and rates and visitor demand are down until early June. This is definitely the time of year to find great rates on-island.
Kauai Spring Events:
- Taste of Hawaii (June) - Cancelled for 2021. Considered to be the premier food and wine tasting event located on Kauai; includes live music and a silent auction.
Visiting Kauai in July, August, or September
The start of the summer months will be busy - especially in July, but visitors can find great rates and will see lower overall visitation as you head into the months of August and September. The latter two months of this period are a great time to visit Kauai. Temperatures will be warmer in the early summer through August, but only a few degrees higher than normal.
Kauai Summer Events:
- Koloa Plantation Days (July) - Currently scheduled for July 2022. A celebration of Kauai's historic sugar industry boom. Features a parade, floats, riding units, marching band and more.
- Kauai Marathon (September) - Scheduled for September 2022. A beautiful marathon and half marathon route that follows the Kauai coastline around the island.
- Kauai Mokihana Festival (September) - A week-long festival, held in Kapaa, featuring hula competition, Hawaiian music, and cultural presentations.
Visiting Kauai in October, November, or December
As with the winter months, a portion of the fall season can be wetter than at other times of the year, especially mid-to-late November and December. Visitation will be down during this period, which typically results in lower demand and prices - the exception, of course, being the last weeks of December around the holidays when prices & demand will increase dramatically. Expect cooler temperatures the further into the fall season you are, though typically the only elevation on Kauai that might require a light jacket is near Kokee and Waimea Canyon.
Kauai Fall Events:
- Kauai Chocolate and Coffee Festival (October) - Appears to have been canceled in 2021. Status unknown for 2022 at this time. This festival is a celebration of everything coffee and chocolate on Kauai.
- Holiday Craft Fair (December) - Features a day of holiday shopping & entertainment with NTBG plants alongside Kauai-made products, jewelry, clothing, and more.
Book Your Kauai Vacation Today!
It's easy to plan and book your perfect Hawaii trip. Enter your trip dates to search Hawaii vacation packages, hotels, flights, and car rentals.
- Rental Cars
Our Kauai Suggestions
Our Suggestions for Things to Do
*Kauai monthly Visitor Statistics are provided by the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism.