Hawaii Inter-Island Trusted Testing Partners
Hawaii's Inter-County COVID-19 Pre-Test Partners
Official Pre-Travel Testing Program now allows the bypass of inter-island quarantine
Last Updated: June 14, 2021, at 12:00 pm HST (FINAL UPDATE DUE TO PROGRAM ENDING)
According to Hawaii's official State Department of Health, the state lists its approved inter-county trusted testing partners as: Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, Costco/AZOVA+, CVS Health (Longs Drugs)*, Diagnostic Laboratory Services (DLS), Hawaii Pacific Health, Kaiser Permanente (members only), Minit Medical, National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii's Consortium+ (through an agreement with the City and County of Honolulu), S&G Labs Hawaii LLC, Urgent Care Hawaii, Vault Health, and Walgreens (as of late-May 2021).
- Partners marked with a '+' notation must use the Standard State of Hawaii TTP Results Form.
- *CVS Health/Longs Drugs: ONLY this website, not a different CVS website or walk-in. See below for more information.
Beginning June 15, 2021 - All Inter-County Travel Restrictions will be Dropped
On June 4, 2021, Governor David Ige announced the end of all restrictions for inter-county travel, starting June 15, 2021. All inter-county travelers will no longer need to take a COVID-19 test or quarantine, regardless of their vaccination status or where they were vaccinated.
The decision to terminate testing/quarantine requirements comes as the State of Hawaii approaches the 55% vaccination rate. As of June 14, 2021, 55% of Hawaii's residents have now been fully vaccinated.
Prior to June 15th - Inter-Island Policy for Travelers Vaccinated within Hawaii
As of May 11, 2021, fully vaccinated passengers (initially, only those vaccinated within Hawaii qualify for this rule) are now able to travel inter-island without being subject to quarantine and testing rules.
- According to local news, under the new rules, vaccinated inter-island travelers will be able to upload an image of their vaccination card to the Safe Travels portal and then be permitted to bypass quarantine.
- This pilot program is essentially an initial step toward allowing fully vaccinated trans-Pacific passengers to come into Hawaii without being subject to quarantine or being required to take a pre-travel test. No formal date has been set for vaccinated trans-Pacific travelers to begin bypassing quarantine and/or pre-travel testing, but we believe it will likely be in July 2021 or when the state's vaccination rate reaches 60%. For now, the pre-travel testing rules and quarantine rules remain in effect for all trans-Pacific travelers.
- See the detailed section on our Vaccine / Health passport page for additional information on this vaccine exemption program.
We will continue to closely monitor the inter-island trusted partners' program and provide additional updates & testing providers, as provided by official state sources, on this page. Travelers may want to sign up for our weekly email updates that we're currently sending about the status of Hawaii's reopening. This email update will include any new partners that have been recently added to the pre-travel testing program.
Issues with timeliness on inter-island testing? We also wanted to add a note to potential travelers, that back in November and December 2020, some readers had reported issues with inter-island testing, and the test result turnaround times. Other readers, including local residents, have now recently (as of early 2021) reported no problems with inter-island testing timeliness, so hopefully, the previous delays were because the program was just getting started at that time. Have something different to report? Contact us and let us know so we can share with our readers. Mahalo!
Hawaii Inter-County Trusted Testing Partners
For Inter-Island Travel to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island before June 15, 2021
— Last Updated at the COVID-19 State of Hawaii Portal in late-May 2021 —
Through multiple press releases, Governor Ige has announced several new "trusted testing partners" for interisland travel to Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii (Big Island) counties. Oahu does not have any inter-island travel restrictions at this time.
A mandatory contact tracing requirement has gone into effect for all travelers from both the mainland and interisland to Maui. All travelers to Maui must now download the AlohaSafe Alert App on their mobile phones. Failure to do so will result in a mandatory 10-day quarantine period. See our Hawaii Travel Restrictions page and the Maui Special Notice section for additional information. Additionally, inter-county passengers to Maui must now have their negative test results prior to arrival; as Maui County will no longer accept negative test results received post-arrival.
- Each of the official inter-island Hawaii pre-travel partners can be found below on this page.
- All of the verified U.S. trans-Pacific Hawaii testing partners are included on our domestic U.S. trusted testing partners page.
- In late October 2020, Hawaii's Governor also announced the Japan pre-travel trusted partners, which are included on our Hawaii International Travel Testing Partners page.
- We've also recently updated the rules regarding island-island travel, including testing rules, in our Hawaii Travel Restrictions - Inter-island FAQ →
Please Note: all tests conducted in the state of Hawaii may require an order by a licensed physician or healthcare provider. Please contact the lab/pharmacy in advance to confirm the requirements prior to scheduling tests.
Costco/AZOVA: Costco Wholesale, in collaboration with AZOVA, is offering at-home, observed FDA-authorized COVID-19 saliva rt-PCR testing for travelers (Costco members and non-members) for ages five years and older from anywhere in the United States. Tests are delivered via UPS overnight delivery and electronic shareable results are available in 12 to 48 hours from the time the lab receives the test sample.
Crunched for time? Costco has launched an in-Pharmacy COVID-19 traveler testing solution in select markets. Register online and then purchase and pick up your COVID-19 saliva rt-PCR test kit at one of 123 participating Costco pharmacies across the US.
- Information on how to order and pick up your travel test kit at a participating Costco Pharmacy and pricing can be found here: Costco-AZOVA Observed Travel Saliva PCR Kit in Participating Pharmacies.
- Information and pricing for ordering your travel test kit from Costco.com can be found here: Costco-AZOVA Observed Travel Saliva PCR Test.
CVS Health (Longs): Travelers may schedule an appointment up to two (2) days in advance at select CVS Pharmacy drive-thru locations. Tests are available for ages 12 and older. Pre-registration is required. Info more information can be found on their website.
Important Note: Travelers must schedule testing through this website, not a different CVS website or walk-in.
Hawaii Pacific Health: Tests are offered at Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children on Oahu, and Wilcox Medical Center on Kauai in partnership with Clinical Labs of Hawaii. Appointments are required at Kapiolani and must be scheduled online. No appointment is necessary at Wilcox. The Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid PCR test is available at the following HPH urgent care locations on O‘ahu and Kauai: Doctors on Call at Hilton Hawaiian Village COVID-19 Testing Center, Doctors on Call at Sheraton Waikiki COVID-19 Testing Center, Kahala Clinic & Urgent Care, Kapolei Clinic & Urgent Care, and Kauai Urgent Care. No appointment is necessary. More information on site locations, hours, and costs can be found on their website.
Kaiser Permanente: (members only) Travelers can schedule a test online, contact the appointment call center, or nurse advice line in the traveler's home region for scheduling instructions. Kaiser Permanente members returning home to Hawaii may call the Away-from-Home Travel Line at (951) 268-3900 for scheduling instructions. Information can be found on their website.
National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii's Consortium (through an agreement with the City and County of Honolulu) - located at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), the testing site is at the Diamond Head Tour Group area, just past Baggage Claim 31. The Hawaiian Monarch Hotel, on the island of Oahu, is an additional testing location. Pre-register online (registration link forthcoming) or walk-in on-site. Results are provided in three to six hours and are available for ages five (5) and older at a cost of $125. Most health insurance is accepted, subject of course to the policies of your specific insurer.
S&G Labs Hawaii LLC: Testing services available throughout the state for walk-ups and appointments. All lab tests processed locally with a fast 24- to 36-hour turn-around time. Kamaaina rates are available for travelers. Tests available for ages five (5) and older. Find more information, including locations and testing availability, or to schedule appointments, visit their website, or call (808) 329-9675.
Walgreens: Testing is available to inter-island travelers at no cost (however, individuals must meet CDC criteria for testing). Tests available for ages five (5) and older. All drive-thru testing locations operate outdoors and patients do not leave their vehicles. Appointments are required. Travelers can find more information on their website.
- Details and thorough information on Hawaii's pre-travel testing, for both trans-Pacific and inter-island travel, can be found on our Hawaii COVID Testing Requirements & Test Procedures →
- More information on the current COVID-19 rules & restrictions, including for each Hawaiian county/island, can be found on our updated page for Hawaii Travel Restrictions →
- Additional information on Hawaii's re-opening process, along with a frequently updated traveler FAQ, can be found in our article: Hawaii Reopening to Visitors - What you need to know →
- For news, updates, and headlines related to COVID-19 and travel within and to Hawaii we've created a new page dedicated to the day-by-day updates: Hawaii COVID-19 Travel News & Headlines →
Additional Hawaii COVID-19 Information & Resources
The following resources have been compiled by GoUS Hawaii to better assist travelers in navigating the various restrictions and state-approved test requirements for visiting Hawaii during the COVID pandemic. If you have questions, we are always happy to assist, and you can contact us anytime. You may also want to direct your questions to an official state resource, and we've compiled an updated list of Hawaii Official COVID-19 Contacts for travelers, including phone numbers and email addresses when applicable.