Sugar used to reign supreme in the islands until world trade opened up the market to cheaper sources. The Koloa Sugar Mill which was built in 1898 by Walter McBryde, the second son of Duncan and Elizabeth. Now it sits vacant and rusting, a reminder that not all good things last and economies continually change.
To get to the mill take Highway 50 west and turn right on Highway 530 (Koloa Road) after mile marker 11. Near the town of Koloa, turn right on Weliweli Road which ends at the mill.